Sunday, January 9, 2011

Spa Food: Healthy Spaghetti with Salmon, Lemon and Basil

.

As I continue to keep my promise to myself and my family to become healthier not only for a one-time (and very breakable) resolution, but rather for a life-long commitment, I turned to the inspiration from thin, beautiful, and kick-butt chef, Giada de Laurentiis for the "I Heart Cooking Club" for this week's "Resolutions" theme.  If you have her cookbook "Giada At Home", you may find this recipe on page 100; it is also presented on the web on one of the web-sites that feature her. 

My husband and I went out to dinner last night . . .  always a huge threat, tease, or challenge for those of us who have to watch our calories, carbs, fat, or whatever!  But I was faithful to my commitment; I mean, after all, one cannot stay at home and simply eat celery sticks!  I'm social, I love to go out, and I love seeing and chatting with friends and folks in this small little community.  I'm not a recluse, nor do I ever want to be.  So with fear and trepidation when hubby asked me to go out for dinner, I said to myself, "OK, don't sabotage everything that you've done, girl!  Stay disciplined and just order a salad and select a grilled/broiled fish for my entree, and no dessert whatsoever".

I kept my promise!  The grilled salmon was delightful, as it always is from one of our favorite eateries in town.  PLUS, I only ate 4 ounces of a huge salmon fillet, thus leaving me an already prepared, ready-to-simply-heat-up piece of salmon to add to Giada's recipe presented here.


I went to my pantry to see what I had on hand . . . oh good, I had some whole wheat and multi-grain pasta on hand; wow, I picked up some lemons, a new bottle of olive oil, some fresh baby spinach leaves, and some garlic yesterday; thankfully my brain worked this summer and I had frozen some of my garden-grown basil; and finally, YAY, I had a jar of unopened capers in the frig waiting to join the party!  PERFECT!  Everything was here to prepare Giada's recipe.


I made a few adjustments to improve this recipe though, which I've noted below for you:





For the recipe, click on "Read More" beneath my signature below.




Healthy Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Salmon, Lemon and Basil

1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti (I used whole-grain since that's what I had in my pantry)

1 clove of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt (I added more for our taste preferences)
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to season when tossing
1 Tbsp. olive oil (to saute' the salmon)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. lemon juice (I decreased this from 2 Tbsp. for a less sour/bitter taste)
2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (my own addition to balance the lemon)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.

Add pasta and cook until tender, but still firm to the bit, al dente', stirring often, for 8 minutes.
Drain pasta, transfer to large bowl.
Add garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
Toss to combine well.
At the same time, warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
Season salmon with salt and pepper.
Add salmon to the pan, cook until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side, depending upon the thickness of the fish.
Remove salmon from the pan.
Add basil, capers, lemon zest and juice, and Parmesan to the spaghetti mixture.
Toss to combine.
Plate 1/2 cup of baby spinach leaves in each pasta bowl.
Top with 1/4 of the pasta.
Top each mound of pasta with a piece of salmon.
Serve immediately.

Pin It

24 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Smart of u to only eat half of the salmon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice I have made this before and its excellant yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what gorgeous photos. Who wouldn't want to eat healthy when served a plate of this? I'm bookmarking it.

    We love Giada at our house and I would love to know her secret for staying thin.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job roz! and i love giada as well and am looking to make some of her healthier dishes as well! happy weekend, anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalei, Sam, Claudia, and Anne:

    I felt that this was a good, healthy recipe. If you need to add another healthy recipe repetoire, this is a nice one; but with the caveat to adjust ingredients where you feel necessary. I just don't care for lemons overpowering my pasta when cream isn't present to balance it. thus the reason why I added in some parmesan at the end. much better that way and not too many more calories were added.

    Ciao, Roz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Roz!!!!! And thansk for sharing this lovely recipe with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum - looks totally delicious. I actually had this one bookmarked and almost made it this week, but ended up choosing a different pasta dish because I had a nice batch of fresh home-made ricotta to use.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bookmarked this today to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val, Sue and Pam ~ hope you enjoy; but like I said you may want to tone down the lemons and capers. The parmesan really made it for me. I'm starting to get used to these healthier recipes and hopefully my body is liking it too! :-D

    Everyone: Thank you so very much for your support!

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I made a similar recipe of hers where we grilled the salmon in packets with lemon, capers, rosemary and white wine. They are fabulous like that but this recipe looks even easier and with pasta too! Congratulations on losing the weight! I will be following along with you. Have a great week, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go, Roz! We're barely into January and you've already lost 5 pounds. I know it's hard, but you're doing really great. Definitely an inspiration to me. I've really fell off the bandwagon!

    This pasta dish with salmon has caught my eye many times. It looks so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award. Go here to accept your award:

    http://norwegianphoenix.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award_10.html

    Love your blog! Your photos are fabulous!

    Adelaide from Norwegian Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious! What great will power you have at the resto too - I wouldn't have been able to hold off!
    I secretly (or not so secretly) think that cookbook editors reduce the salt in recipes to make them look healthier. You see them sprinkling a goodly amount on tv - and it reads like hardly any in the books. I find I do generally have to boost it too.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have two of Giada's books - not the one at home but I need to try this. I think the secret to doing this healthy-weight-loss thing is to not sacrifice flavor. A celery stick won't do it for me. I mean really - I have no rabbbit relations. I want sustenance in the way of taste. Especially during this winter!

    And still the ability to indulge when called for. I guess I don't need half a chocolate torte....after all the first and last bite are the best!

    Your doing so well - onward and upwards to the goals. It's all so possible!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That photograph is amazing. Who wouldn't want to eat that? I love Giada and I love her "spa food" episode. Makes me wish I were her BFF! Cook for me, Giada!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you – losing 5 pounds is great! Salmon is one of my favorites, so many heakthy benefits to a delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks great, going out to eat is the most challenging part of eating healthy, I'm still surprised more restaurants don't offer GREAT healthy options.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, congratulations for sticking to your plan and goal ; I wish you continued success in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds delicously good for you! I need to start eating more salmon and pairing it with pasta is the perfect way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of the few Giada dishes I made that was a total success! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This Giada recipe is a favorite in our house! Great to see someone else found it and loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I keep meaning to make this one--lemon and capers are two of my favorite things. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another gorgeous recipe! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each of your comments and reply to each, both here and on your blog directly! I hope you visit again! Grazie!