Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sauteed Smashed Baby Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic

.


Today was gorgeous outdoors and cloud-free with low-humidity at 70 degrees . . . just perfect for grilling on the deck.  So I needed to decide what vegetable side dish to pair with our grilled entree.  Ideas never fail to present themselves do they?  So while watching some of my recorded food shows this morning before spending the day outside, my question was answered.  During one of Giada de Laurentiis' shows, I immediately knew that the baby potatoes sitting on my kitchen counter were the veggie of choice using one of her yummy recipes:  Sauteed "smashed" baby potatoes in lemon and garlic and dressed with a light lemon-y, herb dressing.  This sounded easy, light, and delicious.  Decision made!

I made the dressing ahead of time to see how it would taste.  Oh my gosh, gag*#!, it was so over-powered by lemon juice and lemon zest, that it was almost like drinking straight lemon juice.  Down the drain it went!  Start over . . . beginning with the olive oil and slowly adding lemon juice to a palatable balance.  Still too lemon-y!  Balsamico vinegar to the rescue!  Two tablespoons of this dark brown miracle liquid brought a smile to my face.  In went the herbs . . . stir, taste . . . needed salt and pepper, so in they went.  OK, not bad at all now; in fact, quite good!

I returned to the Food Network web-page for this recipe and read through the reviews from others who have prepared this recipe.  Lo and behold, I wasn't alone, in fact there were several posts that stated the same reaction to this dressing!  Far too lemon-y!  My recommendation?  Seriously consider making the changes that I made, or even better, make your OWN changes and then drizzle this stuff very, very lightly on the potatoes.  A light touch is what these delicate little potatoes need, not a flood.  I think you'll agree.  Truthfully, Italians traditionally simply do not like a lot of dressings and/or sauces covering quality ingredients anyway, so go light on this dressing.

click on 'read more' beneath my signature below for this recipe.




Sauteed Smashed Potatoes with Lemon and Garlic
adapted from Giada de Laurentiis

2 pounds baby or fingerling potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
6 cloves garlic, peeled, and minced (not 3 or halved as in original recipe)

Original Dressing Recipe
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 lemons, zested
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Roz's Dressing Recipe
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped fine
NO LEMON ZEST
freshly ground salt and black pepper

In an 8-quart stockpot, fill with enough water to cover potatoes by at least two inches.
Bring water to a boil over medium heat.
Place the potatoes in the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry for 5 minutes.
Using the palm of your hand, gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium-high heat.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute.
Remove the garlic and discard.
In batches, add the potatoes and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes.

For the dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, parsley, and thyme.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
VERY LIGHTLY spoon the dressing over the potatoes and toss only once very gently to coat, if you prefer (or you might even choose to pass the dressing around to your guests).
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve.
XXXXXX Pin It

35 comments:

  1. Oh my this sure sounds wonderful! I just love coming here Roz. I want to live in your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the combination of potatoes and lemon. Yum! I could probably make a meal of just these potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish is amazing looking, the crisp outside must have an awesome taste. This would go fantastic with leg of lamb... just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the lighter touch Roz. I do love lemon though but the original recipe could be too strong even for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roz, Great minds think alike! I grilled sweet and white potatoes today. Love the lemon infused dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roz this is just the perfect spring grille dish. Thanks for correcting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These would be great with any meal Roz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like fried boiled potatoes and smashing then a little dressing sounds outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dish. Those potatoes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a wonderful birthday Roz! It sounds like the weather couldn't have been nicer.

    These potatoes are heaven sent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great loooking potatoes! The dressing makes them even more special! Your instincts to test ahead of time were spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I didn't grab an espresso, but I did whip up a raspberry chocolate flavored K Cup which I brewed quickly.

    My family has always been nuts about lemon - in fact, our 1 year old grand daughter loves to suck on a slice of lemon!

    Great recipe!

    Thanks,

    Penny

    Coffee Makers

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always have such lush looking recipes, and they all are keepers! So glad I follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love plain smashed potatoes with just salt, pepper, olive oil & rosemary, but these have much more flavor. I bet they were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These fingerling potatoes look and sound wonderful, especially when paired with grilled meat. I love your revised dressing with the balsamic aw well, it sounds like it complements the potatoes beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Roz I had to print this recipe! Living in Idaho, potatoes are our pride and joy. I am so excited about this recipe!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Roz! I adore your Blog! Its yumissimo. I am adding you on my faves! I look forward to chatting with you! I also cllect green depression glass, and have more green than pink. Thank you for stopping by and becoming a flollower, I am so happy to have friends! :)Sunny109

    ReplyDelete
  18. This dish looks amazing!
    I love it, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Roz - The trees in my header are crabapples and if you have a grill, you also have a smoker - please check this out: http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/2010/06/smoked-chicken-on-gas-grill.html. Turkey is easy to smoke as you're not trying to make it tender like most BBQ, but rather just baking it in a smoky environment which you can easily do on your grill. Please send me an email if you need more info.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm delighted that you follow The Food of Love and so excited to find this wonderful blog. I, too, am a quilter and find there's not enough time in the day to visit all the wonderful food and quilt blogs out there. BTW, these potatoes will debut here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The fried smashed Potatoes recipe looks wonderful! Thanks for finding my blog,Im glad you enjoy it!
    http://inspiredbythemediterranean.blogspot.com/

    ~Kim~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sadly not hot enough for us to consider getting the BBQ going yet, but this recipe sounds scrumptious Roz.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This dish looks so delicious - definitely trying this one! Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the follow and beautiful blog btw :). I will have to give this recipe a try! Now following back.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful looking potato. I really like to cook it this way too, with lots of herb from the garden. Just the way you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You aren't kidding, that's a ton of lemon! It sounds like you got it down to a managable level and your flavors sound perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing!! We LOVE smashed Potatoes- this recipe probably takes them over the top!
    Wanted to thank you for sharing them at this weeks Seasonal Sunday Event!! Hope you will come back soon to another event.

    And by the way LOVING LOVING your site!!
    xo- Brittany-

    ReplyDelete
  28. We love smashed potatoes; but I usually make mine in the oven and have never dressed them before. Your version looks much simpler and I love the thought of dressing them with the recipe you made up. I'm going to give that a try. That has to make them even better! We call those kinds of potatoes "ugly potatoes" in our house; but that doesn't fit yours at all. Your potatoes are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Roz!
    This is the first time I'm here at your blog and really looooove you place here!I am a big fan of Italian food and yours seems just the perfect place to be in:)

    I would love to have you come by my space sometime.I have an event running at my place.Do drop in sometime and link up some fabulous dish to my event!

    Cheers!
    Wit,wok&wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm your newest follower,by the way!:)

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The potatoes sounds just amazing...glad you were able to find just the right balance!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree that Giada often uses way more lemon for my liking, you version sounds wonderful though!! anne

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each of your comments and reply to each, both here and on your blog directly! I hope you visit again! Grazie!