Monday, July 11, 2011

Panzanella ~ ~ Italian Tomato, Bread and Basil Salad!

.

Bread is perfect for mopping up sauces and broth!  That's the basic idea of this wonderful, traditional Italian, fresh tomato and bread salad known as "Panzanella":  crusty, hefty, day-old bread chunks tossed into tomatoes, onions, and fresh basil with a vinaigrette dressing.  This simple and delicious salad is a creation from the central region of Italy.  Panzanella is also another great way to use those juicy tomatoes that are in the peak of the season.  You won't even have to use the oven or stove; it's a cold, lovely, and light salad full of rich flavor!  


Chopped tomatoes, red onion, and basil in vinaigrette, all juicing up nicely!  The bread soaks up up all of that wonderful juice.


 Several days-old ciabatta or sour dough bread cut into 1" cubes.  These were rock hard!


Toss everything together . . . the orange-colored bread is from the red tomato juice/vinaigrette being soaked up.

Panzanella

4 cups fresh, ripe tomatoes, cut into cubes
1 cup red onion, chopped into 1/2" pieces
20 fresh basil leaves, sliced into slivers or shredded
6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
8 cups of day old/several days-old ciabbata or sourdourgh bread, cut into 1" cubes
Sprigs of fresh basil for garnish.

In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onions, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper until well mixed.
Just before serving, toss in the bread cubes.
If you prefer, you can allow the salad to set for 10 minutes before serving so that the bread soaks up the vinaigrette more.

Kick it up a notch by doing any of the following:

Add some chopped up cucumbers.
Add cubes of fresh mozzarella.
Or add chopped prosciutto.
OR, add a combination or all of the above!


Our golden retriever, "Buckeye", just LOVES tomatoes and bread.  
With the basil and vinaigrette, he was smacking his lips in appreciation!

Pin It

28 comments:

  1. I am so happy you made this! I've seen the recipe and wanted to make it, but was hesitant. You know, not to sure if we'd like it or not, lol. I'll take your word for it (plus the beautiful pictures) and will be making this soon :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you do try it Lisa, it is totally, totally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...this looks so good. Every time I make this, we eat it so fast I never get a picture. {giggles}

    ReplyDelete
  4. K,
    We're the same here; usually the salad is half gone even before serving to others! I love the juice-soaked bread, but I sure make certain that the bread is extremely dried out -- this bread was one week old and PERFECT to hold its shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roz. I do love a good Panzanella. I'll definitely be giving your recipe a try come the warmer weather. In fact, I made a really good Caesar Salad on Sunday to take to a bbq. We had such a lovely warm, sunny day considering it was winter. It went down well. (Just didn't get a photo of it. Oh well, I can make it again.)

    PS Love your beautiful Heirloom Tomato Fritatta too.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm...this is the most beautiful and mouthwatering Panzanella Salad I have ever seen!
    I love all your delicious recipes!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've eaten this before but I've never made it myself. I've got half a loaf of sourdough bread sitting on the counter just waiting for me to make this! Thanks.

    Your photos make it look so inviting.

    Love the dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Panzanella is gorgeous and looks simply divine! Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is great option for a nice, light lunch! Thanks for reminding this salad!
    Stay cool when it hits 105 tomorrow!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leave it to the Italians to turn stale bread fit only for the birds into something glorious!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful summertime dish. I can't wait to make some now. Your recipe and photos, as usual, look absolutely fantastic. Grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buckyeye is precious Roz and he has excellent taste too. Panzanella salad is one of the best salads ever and as you said, is open to so many possible additions to make it your own.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing like a good panzanella, if you ask me! All that bread sopping up those juices...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Facebook comment by my cousin, Kathy: Roz, I had this salad the first time I was in Tuscany and it was to die for!! Of course it was in a little family owned place our hotel owner sent us to and we would never have stopped in otherwise. The house red wine was served from a pitcher in the kitchen and we drank out of what looked like jelly jar glasses. It was a fabulous meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya Roz! I just saw a recipe for this last night and have been itching to make it. Yours looks fabulous! Don't forget about the Pizza Margherita! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Outstanding Roz - we'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Panzanella salads are the best! Yours looks wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i've never had panzanella, but i've been meaning to try it. yours looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a perfect salad for these dog days of summer. Buckeye confirms this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im with the pup, this looks great

    ReplyDelete
  21. The picture is worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJuly 13, 2011

    Hi Roz, what an amazing looking salad. Thank you for sharing the recipe. LOVE the picture of Buckeye showing his appreciation. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Buckeye looks like he loved it. :-) I'm sure we will too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. AnonymousJuly 17, 2011

    This looks delicious. Panzanella is such an amazing salad - when made with the ripest and freshest tomatoes - which is why I don't make it very often! When I can get thos eperfect ingredients - wow - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful doggie! He's Italian just like his parents :-) Love that you got his picture mid lip smack. hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Panzanella!!!! Great appetizing picture! Ciao Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love a good panzanella--perfect for summer. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love panzanella, yours looks fantastic! Cute pup :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each of your comments and reply to each, both here and on your blog directly! I hope you visit again! Grazie!